Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Anna Powers



    My next Overcoming the Odds Article is on another fellow Jackson, MS Native Anna Powers.  I met Anna at one of the many health clubs I worked at in the Metro Jackson area.  In addition, her mother Jean Powers taught me Speech at Holmes Community College.  Her full name is Sara Anna Powers and she is a body confidence coach, writer and speaker.  In addition, Anna is a runner, cyclist, and an attorney licensed in two states.
    The main focus of this article is on Anna Powers’ road to becoming a coach which, as you will see, was not an easy one.  Anna claims that she struggled with body issues growing up and always wanted to be skinny.  “From 1999 to 2003, I struggled with anorexia,” Anna says.  Eventually Anna would overcome her problems with anorexia, but then was faced with the problem of overeating.   “Around 2005, I began binge eating and got up to 210 lbs.,” she says.  After facing the problems of anorexia and binge eating, Anna felt like she was losing her identity.  “I was forced to look at myself in the mirror and tell myself that I am me whether I am under or overweight,” she says, “I realized that I had to align my actions with my beliefs.”  Anna’s beliefs were indeed the teachings of Jesus and Christianity.  “If I say I believed in Jesus, then I wanted to honor him with my life,” she says.  Indeed, Anna’s actions of under or overeating and worrying about her appearance were not congruent with the teachings of her Savior and she needed to change that.
    In January of 2015, Anna Powers formed a company called The Congruent Life, LLC.  “I’m really wanting to equip people with the knowledge that they are worthy and valuable,” Anna says, “My program helps people go deep and recognize underlying issues of life balance that may be pushing them to over or undereat.” Anna is not a nutritionist, psychotherapist or personal trainer. She's been a registered yoga therapist since 2005 and does draw upon that training in her coaching services.  “I want to look at what has emotionally, intellectually, or spiritually taken people off track,” she says. “When someone's physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual lives are in balance, that person can experience all the benefits of a truly healthy lifestyle.  Once we tackle those issues, future decisions about one’s life can be made.”  You can go to Anna’s website at  www.saraannapowers.com  to book her services and sign up for her email list.  She’s created a thank-you gift that can be downloaded immediately if you are new to her newsletter.
   
    Anna Powers indeed overcame the odds of anorexia, overeating and body issues.  She found out the true meaning of her life’s purpose, and how to align her beliefs with her everyday actions.  In addition. Anna is helping others achieve that goal.  Anna also teaches Yoga at the Madison Health Plex Center in Highland Colony on Tuesdays at 7:05pm and Thursdays at 6:35pm.  http://healthplexperformance.com/  “Yoga is a form of exercise that has really helped me in life in general,” Anna says, “It’s not about the competition its about accepting yourself in the moment.”

1 comment:

  1. Will, thank you so much for sharing my story. Your website is truly inspirational, and I'm honored to have been included!

    ReplyDelete