Monday, May 25, 2015

Anonymous Man

OVERCOMING THE ODDS PLEASE READ I had a busy day at the Book Sale today and sold a lot of books and magazines. I had a touching experience with one particular gentleman. He introduced himself and began talking about how he had been buying and selling Comic Books all his life so I related to him with Superman and Batman. He began to tell me his life story which was touching. When he was born, he had so many holes in his heart that he was not expected to live past age five. He had Open Heart Surgery at the age of Five and had various things done to his heart that were very risky. Nonetheless, he survived. According to the man, he began to go Partially Deaf when he was in High School. I could tell he was because of the Hearing Device in his left ear and his Speech. After being rejected by schools, he was accepted by Gallaudet University in D.C., the only Liberal Arts College for the Deaf. He became a Head of Deaf Services eventually. The man said he Had a Heart Attack and survived which forced him to retire. He says this was his second bout with Heart condition but he made it. The man began to tear up and I got slightly emotional as well. He said that his Will to live has always been strong but without the help of God his Survival would not have been possible. Now my friends this is a Pure Case of OVERCOMING THE ODDS!! In addition, I saw a lady I had ironically served at both the Eudora Welty and Quisenberry Libraries. She also goes to the Clinton Y so I had that connection to her as well. She just had Eye Surgery and was getting back on her feet again so that was another example of OVERCOMING THE ODDS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment